I am just filled with gratitude as the feedback from readers comes in; grateful that they are reading Beautiful Affliction, grateful that they take the time to tell me about their experiences of reading my book, and grateful for amazing accounts like these:
- A mother with grown children tells me she will share Beautiful Affliction with all her children and their spouses.
- A man borrows Beautiful Affliction from the local library, but loves the book so much he wishes it for his birthday, and receives it as a gift from his wife.
- A woman sends copies of the book to her sisters after reading it.
- A reader starts copying quotes from the book while reading, but gets so caught up in the story, he can’t bring himself to stop reading to write the quotes down, telling me, they were everywhere! He says he will read the book again, and that time write the quotes down.
- A reader tells me her copy of the book is dog-eared and underlined all the way through after she read it.
- A reader friend here in Jakarta (from New Zealand) has his mother-in-law for visit (from the US). As he is reading Beautiful Affliction, she comes into the room and asks what book he is so immersed in. He tells her the title, and she asks to see the cover, then exclaims: Oh, I’ve read that one! We read it in our book club in Seattle!
- A reader tells me she brings Beautiful Affliction to work, and whenever someone asks about it, she tells them how much she loved it.
- Several readers say they read the book in one sitting, since they could not put it down (in some cases resulting in lack of sleep 🙂 ).
- A reader used stickers to mark sentences she wanted to remember, but ran out of stickers.
- Beautiful Affliction has been read on vacations, in kitchens, on numerous couches, on porches, on trains, on airplanes, in hotel rooms, and even on a boat!
I can’t tell you how much this means to me! After years of writing (not to mention living the story), wondering what future readers will think, it is such a joy to receive these accounts from readers.
Oh, and on a side note, I can’t tell you how many messages I have received from readers telling me how wonderful my husband is! 🙂 And yes, I agree, he totally is! ♥